The General Dental Council’s change in how they monitor and count Continuing Professional Development now known as Enhanced CPD came into force on the 1st January 2018 for dentists and will role out to all other Dental Professionals in September 2018.
The main changes to the scheme are:
- The requirement for all dental professionals to have a personal development plan (PDP);
- An increase in the number of verifiable hours for most professional titles and the requirement to spread the hours more evenly across the five year cycle;
- Dental professionals no longer have to declare non-verifiable CPD to the GDC;
- The requirement to make an annual statement of CPD hours completed, even if zero hours have been completed for that year;
- The requirement to align CPD activity with specific development outcomes;
- The requirement for professionals to plan CPD activity according to their individual “field(s) of practice”.